loader
Friday, February 06, 2015 at 5pm

IMD’s Leadership Capabilities Tool and Other MBA News Snippets

IMD Lausanne tool for leadership capabilities

IMD index offers leadership comparison

IMD Lausanne has launched a comparison tool for those seeking to measure their leadership capabilities and to outline potential areas for development.

The IMD Global Leader Index places users who respond to a survey alongside executives who have a comparable level of responsibility to benchmark their strategic, execution, stakeholder and personal leadership capabilities.

The index is the product of 20 years’ research into global leadership capabilities from IMD faculty members, Dan Denison and Robert Hooijberg.

Fortune 500 firms urged to spend more on education

The world’s largest corporations are not budgeting enough for higher education in the sphere of CSR (corporate social responsibility), according to a UNESCO report in collaboration with the Varkey Foundation.

In the report, entitled Business Backs Education, Fortune 500 firms were found to be putting just 4.3% of their combined budget for corporate social responsibility activities towards higher education. The proportion rises by around 8.7%, to 13% of their total CSR budgets, when widened to include all forms of education-related activities.

UNESCO wants Fortune 500 firms to raise this level of spending on education to 20% of their CSR expenditure by 2020, arguing that an educated and skilled workforce is a critical component of its success, as well as pointing to education’s role in  helping to foster more equitable and prosperous societies across the globe.

Leading the way on education-related CSR spending between 2011 and 2013 from firms included in the report were Banco Santander, IBM and Telefonica. Indeed, researchers highlighted the fact that the top 10 Fortune 500 firms for expenditure in this area accounted for 42% of aggregated expenditure.

Bloch School supplied false info to business school ranking

Readers of TopMBA.com’s MBA News with strong memories may recall that The University of Missouri-Kansas City’s Bloch School of Management was accused of tampering with an innovation management business school ranking last summer.

Now, a PwC audit report has revealed that the school did knowingly submit false information to the Princeton Review in relation to a business school ranking.

Although, it could not be proven that this misinformation influenced the Bloch School’s standing, the gravity of the offence has seen them removed from the ranking in question.

In one example of false data submitted, as cited by Inside Higher Ed, “The university created a wish list of clubs that it might support to promote entrepreneurial students. The university then reported that its wish list was reality and that it had all of those clubs, which in fact did not exist.”

In addressing the findings in a statement, the university’s chancellor, Leo Morton said: “we understand why the Princeton Review has taken this step. Even one inaccurate data point is one too many,” adding that the Bloch School’s dean has already appointed a special faculty committee to oversee future rankings data submissions.

Is Bollywood’s Aamir Khan off to HBS? 

Reports in India this week claimed that the Bollywood film star, Aamir Khan, has been invited to give a talk at Harvard Business School (HBS).

It is believed, although as yet unconfirmed, that HBS is interested in hearing about Aamir Khan’s role in last year’s PK, which – despite generating controversy for its satirical spin on religion - is now the highest grossing Bollywood film of all time.  

Tim is a writer with a background in consumer journalism and charity communications. He trained as a journalist in the UK and holds degrees in history (BA) and Latin American studies (MA).

Tags used in this blog post

Comments

Higher education means a lot of money. Now, when it comes to a business school, more often than not a fair bit of MBA course fee is generated from students loans. Now, I believe there should be a balance here. A mere call to invest more in higher education does not make sense really.